There is no law that says you need a Realtor to sell your property in California. That being said, real estate is a complex transaction involving the sale of what is very likely one of the most valuable assets you own. The legal requirements involved in buying and selling property in California have become increasingly complex in the past several years. An active licensed Realtor is trained in these areas.
The top 5 reasons to hire a licensed professional Realtor:
1. Education & Experience: You don’t need to know everything about buying and selling real estate if you hire a professional who does.
2. Realtors are Buffers: Realtors do the screening for your showings and visits. If you are selling, they will make sure and keep the “lookers” at bay and encourage the serious buyers to make an offer.
3. Price Guidance: A Realtor will help guide clients on the selecting prices for sellers and buyers. They are experts in the local market. Based on market supply, demand and the conditions, the Realtor will devise a negotiation strategy.
4. Negotiation Skills & Confidentiality: Top producing Realtors negotiate well because, unlike most buyers and sellers, they can remove themselves from the emotional aspects of the transaction and because they are skilled.
5. Handling Volumes of Paperwork: Purchase agreements run 10+ pages. That does not include the federal, state and local disclosures. Most real estate files average thicknesses from one to three inches of paper. One tiny mistake or omission could land you in court or cost you thousands.